Saturday, 14 January 2017

The pattern of "I'm sorry" when you're dealing with hair loss ...




How are those New Years resolutions going?

I'm going to be totally honest here when I tell you that I gave up making New Years resolutions about 5 years ago! I never stuck to them and it always ended up making me feel down in the dumps when I either fell off the diet wagon or broke one of my resolutions.

No one needs that amount of extra pressure placed on their shoulders right!? I mean, life can be hard enough without placing even more expectations on ourselves.

I converted my 'resolutions' into tiny teeny mini goals instead (what I like to call my baby steps!) and I only set myself 2 main goals for the year. One main goal in my personal life and one main goal for my business. Anything else I want to do or achieve goes on my 100 things to do list for the year.

OK - So why am i even sharing this with you you say!?

Well, over the past 7 years since I started Aspire I've noticed a pattern with the lovely ladies I see and I was just the same when I was in my dark place immediately following losing my hair. One day (when I'm brave enough) I'll share my whole story but right now I'm not that brave. We all have something that scares us would you agree?

Back to this pattern I noticed ..... Women come and see us and one of the first things they say is "I've been putting this off for so long, I'm so scared and nervous I feel so weak!".

And then the tears start rolling and do you know what the next thing the lovely lady sat across from me says? She says "I'm sorry".

I'M SORRY!!!

It breaks my heart a little more every time I hear such wonderful women say that to me because you don't have anything to be sorry for. You're not weak because you cry. You're not a failure because you've 'allowed' yourself to feel sad due to your hair loss. YOU'RE HUMAN. YOU'RE A WOMEN. Our hair is kind of a big deal to us and that's OK. It's not 'just hair' it is a HUGE part of who we are an how we see ourselves. It's our crowning glory.

It's OK to cry and feel sad because it's changing, going or gone. It's more than OK. It's necessary.

You might wonder and think to yourself 'I bet Emma's business goal this year is to make X amount of money but actually I've never been much of a money orientated kinda girl. It doesn't really have any impact on my happiness and I know there will be people out there who can totally relate with me on that! It took me a while to figure it out but I realised that what makes me happy is when I make other people feel happy.

Such a simple thing, who knew! :D

My business goal this year is to make sure that I do my absolute best to help every single person that I cross paths with this year due to Aspire Hair walk away from me feeling more positive and more confident (even if just a little!).

I think it's the best goal I've ever set myself <3

My big personal goal this year involves eating healthier food more often but I'm not gonna hold my breath on this one. I'm a foodie and I'm curvy .... maybe I should just make my peace with that and wear the bloody body-con dress anyway!!

I'd love your feedback on today's post. Did you struggle with guilt and feeling weak when you lost your hair? Maybe you grabbed the bull by the horns and said ' F**K you hair loss I'm going to be fabulous either way darling!'.

I genuinely want to hear your experiences and I know that other readers will take great comfort from hearing them too.









PS - You'll notice the blog theme being updated over the next few weeks. Don't panic, It's just one of the things on my 100 things to do list ;)

4 comments:

Joys Ribbon said...

It is an informative post.

Dustin T said...

Wigs are a great and easy way to transform yourself and become someone new! wigs in toronto offer the lowest custom wig prices in North America and all of products are made with the finest grade of human hair and hand tied one strand at a time for the most realistic loo.

Anonymous said...

I'm only 19 years old and I went to Emma at Aspire hair for a consultation for a wig for my hair loss and she couldn't have done anymore for me. I felt so at ease with someone who could help and understand what I was going through and Emma was more than happy to help me and answer any questions that I had about getting a wig or wearing one myself. We went through a range of different styles and colours till we found the right one for me. I couldn't be anymore grateful to the people at aspire hair, especially Emma.

Harish Kumar said...

Nice Blog and Thank you for Sharing this Information.
Buy Human hair Online