Going Bald for a good cause...

There seems to be a growing fundraising trend of head shaving which serves to raise awareness of, and money for cancer charities. Men, women and children alike are getting number one shaves, and in many cases, also donating their unwanted hair to wig charities such as The Little Princess' Trust. It's a commendable feat and one I hope I would have considered myself in different circumstances.

As you'd expect, losing my hair was incredibly, incredibly difficult and I remember clinging desperately to ever dwindling patches of hair on my scalp; carefully brushing and tending long tufts. It took nine months for my hair to fall out and I remember hoping that if I kept looking after it, it might stop dropping out. Needless to say, it didn't happen and eventually my scalp looked something akin to Gollum from Lord of the Rings. 

At that time, no one had a frank conversation with me about potentially shaving my head; everyone was understandably hesitant about upsetting me and wanted me to come to that conclusion myself. In hindsight, I waited too long to snip off the straggling locks, but the day I handed my mum the scissors and asked her to snip off the last three patches was a major turning point for me. It was the start of acceptance and a change in the way I felt about having alopecia and to this day I remember the huge sense of relief.

Looking back at how far I've come, the only thing I'd change about my journey is maybe to have grabbed the scissors that little bit earlier, spared myself some of the heartbreak, and potentially been a donor to wig charities. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I can't be sure it would have helped, but maybe, just maybe it would have eased things a little bit.

I'll probably never know, but aside from that, I commend all the wonderful people young and old who are taking this bald step for charity and helping make a difference just because they can!

Does anyone else have something they'd change about their #AlopeciaJourney? 

Victoria xxx
Aspire Hair (Southern Branch) 


Comments