The Checklist

I meet with ladies, men and children with alopecia / hair loss almost daily in my line of work. Many of them come to me for new hair, ultimately, but also they come to me for my advice.

A few days ago, a lovely lady came to me for a consultation. I had spoken with her on the telephone and via email for quite a while previous to our appointment being arranged, and she was pretty certain that she knew exactly what she wanted, and what she said she wanted was a bonded lace system. Now .... when i first started my business and began offering my clients consultations, I used to take it for granted that every client was 'experienced' as a hair wearer and that they fully 'understood' what they were actually asking for. It became obvious though very quickly that, although all the information was out there about different wigs and systems (online) that many people still get very confused by the whole world of new hair! And to be honest ..... when i sat back and looked at it all i was not surprised at how people were getting their head in a spin over everything!

The amount of choice we have available to us is immense! Which, in one way is a good thing, but in another way, extremely confusing.

We have the choice of lace systems, synthetic wigs, human hair wigs, welded lace wigs. Then throw into the beg the generous amounts of materials that we have on offer .... monofilament, poly, silicone, Hollywood lace, Swiss lace , french lace, silk ...... No wonder peoples head are spinning!

But whats my point? The point i am trying to make is that although all this choice is great, it can also make the process of buying your new hair feel like its impossible. I really do believe that this is where i come into it. I meet with new clients all the time that have come to me, from a different company and they are really struggling with their choice of hair. Some have spent thousands of pounds trying to find a wig / system that they will be happy with and keep failing to find that 'perfect' new hair.

The most IMPORTANT part of my job (and the part i enjoy the most :o) Is meeting with clients and going through all the options available to them. The very first thing i do once we get sat down with a cup of tea/coffee is get my pad and a pen and go through a checklist of things,



Questions i ask ........

  • How long have you had alopecia / hair loss?
  • What have you tried before?
  • Do you sleep in your current wig / system?
  • Do you like to change the style of your hair often?
  • What kind of job do you do?
  • Do you play sports often / go to the gym?
  • What is the first thing you like to do when you get home from work / school run?

These questions may seem a little silly to some people, and i just want to point out that i dont ask them in a 'checklist' style (IE ... bombard clients with question after question!) I work the very important checklist into our conversation ..... most people dont even realise i am even asking them questions that are relevant to their hair loss or situation!

Why do i ask these questions? Explanations are below ...


  • How long have you had alopecia / hair loss? How my client answers this question gives me a good indication of how they are coping with their hair loss. I have met with people who are truely devastated by their alopecia, and when we are upset and grieving for our hair we struggle to take in information about wigs / systems. It almost feels like we are in shock. If this is the case, i know to take things very slowly and to go over things more than once. A 2 hour consultation is not UN heard of in a situation like this.

  • What have you tried before? This tells me what you have tried in the past and what has not worked for you as you would have hoped.

  • Do you sleep in your current wig / system? Some wigs / systems are designed for extended / sleeping wear, others are not. Again, your answer to this questions helps me understand what is going to work the best for you.

  • Do you like to change the style of your hair often? This gives me a good indication of what will best suit your needs, human hair or synthetic.

  • What kind of job do you do? Do you work in a bakery? does your hair need to be tried back? Your new hair solution needs to fit into your lifestyle and that includes your job.

  • Do you play sports often / go to the gym? If yes, you need to feel extra secure,

  • What is the first thing you like to do when you get home from work / school run? What we do when we walk through the door after work / school run is a big part of our routine ... for example, as soon as i walk in from the school run, i like to put some comfy trousers on and a vest top, along with my favourite pair of slippers or bed socks! I feel comfortable running around after my kids this way :o) If a client says to me that when they walk in from work the first thing they do is take their hair off and put on a bandanna ...... then this lets me know straight away that a bonded system will not be the best option for you!

You can see that by using my checklist, i am able to gain valuable information about the individual client i have sat across from me. Because that's another important thing as well, we are all individuals. What suits one person will probably not suit another person quite so well.

The most important question out of my checklist in my opinion is ... What is the first thing you like to do when you walk through the door from work / the school run. This is my comfort question, we have to feel comfortable !

Emma xxx
Aspire Hair

Comments

Popular Posts